Most motorists agree that choosing a sports car is much more tricky than buying a passenger vehicle. Such transport is best suited for active people accustomed to luxury, comfort, and adrenaline. For those who appreciate individuality and a sense of freedom from driving on highways, the Indy Auto Man experts prepared recommendations on how to buy the best sports car on the secondary market.
Features of a Sports Car: How to Make the Right Choice
The first thing to decide before buying a used sports car is the features of its operation. Every buyer has different values – some will focus on design, while others pay special attention to engine power. Vehicles of this type must have a powerful motor combined with a lightweight design. Still, it is worth looking at cars whose engine power does not exceed 3 liters: the smaller the volume, the less weight and, as a result, the load on the front axle, which means easier driving. The suspension should allow performing sharp turns. The body must be aerodynamic, the tires are able to guarantee safe driving, and the brakes work perfectly even at high speeds.
Naturally, such vehicles cost an impressive amount. Fortunately, the used car market in the US is full of used sports cars for sale in just-like-new condition, and it is not hard to buy the best one with expert tips in mind. Check the inventory of the reliable US dealership here.
Criteria for Choosing a High-Speed Car used sports cars for sale in the just-like-new condition
When choosing a car for high-speed driving, you need to pay attention to the following points:
- Gearbox. Only a mechanical transmission allows feeling all the delights of high-speed driving.
- Car disks. Give preference to alloy wheels with minimal weight to improve acceleration dynamics.
- Fuel consumption. Considering that the car must be powerful, it is not worth counting on economic fuel consumption.
- Turbocharged acceleration. Such an addition is justified if you plan to take part in races. In urban mode, it is useless.
When deciding to buy a used sports car, you need to pay special attention to a test drive and a thorough tech inspection. The driver and passengers’ safety depends on the reliability and wear of the main components and assemblies.
Overview of Popular Sports Car Models
- The Ford Mustang V has cult status among American car enthusiasts. Despite rare malfunctions of the engine pump and electrics, the car is well-equipped and impressive in dynamics.
- Audi TT is popular among young drivers and is quite cheap. It tends to require costly steering suspension repairs, which is bad news for less affluent drivers. The advantages of this model are its appearance, easy driving, and four-wheel drive.
- Ford Focus RS has a compact design and a great driving experience. The RS II is a car that is unlikely to ever break down, but the money saved on repairs will go towards fuel anyway, as the car consumes up to 25 liters per 60 miles.
- Nissan GT-R is a dream car for those who like a fast and dynamic driving style as it only takes 3 seconds to reach 60 mph. Unfortunately, this is an expensive choice, both in terms of the purchase price and maintenance costs. The gearbox breaks down often, and a replacement can make a hole in your budget.
- Porsche 911. A legendary car that combines beautiful looks, original solutions, and truly dynamic driving. Available with both RWD and 4WD. Sometimes the crankshaft of a 3.4-liter engine gets stuck, but despite this, this model is one of the most durable.
- Subaru Impreza WRX STi. Attractive price, pleasant driving, but expensive maintenance. Faults are not common – you may need to tidy up the gearbox, but the suspension and electrics are usually durable.
Pros and Cons of Sports Cars
The main charm of sports cars is their attractive appearance and power. But besides this, they have many other advantages:
- The speed that the car develops makes it possible to fully understand the joy of extreme feelings on the road;
- The bodies are made of durable materials, but they are light in weight. Consequently, the car is more agile and easily handles turns and sharp turns;
- Revolving engine, designed for high loads;
- An exhaust system thought out to the smallest detail, equipped with modern filters, and also caresses the ear with a pleasant roar.
Among the main shortcomings of a sports car are:
- Large appetite – a rare model can boast of modest fuel consumption. However, this is due to the technical features of the vehicle. After all, a high-speed car is designed for quick starting and high speeds, which can be achieved with a powerful, at least 3 liters, power unit.
- In the conditions of the current expensive state, the transmission fails quite quickly, as it is not designed for movement on bumps.
- A significant disadvantage of powerful sports cars is their cost. But it is always possible to consider used options and get an outstanding vehicle for about $20,000.
So, if you are still not sure if you can afford a sports car, just visit a used car dealership in your city and do your selection of available sports cars to become one step closer to your dreams.