What is Digilocker?
As the name suggests, DigiLocker is a digital locker repository which provides a platform to store your important documents such as Aadhaar, PAN, driving licence, school mark sheets, vehicle registration certificate, insurance and more. It’s a cloud storage service that you can use for government services and for personal storage as well.
This is an initiative under Digital India and was launched by the Government of India in the year 2015. Released by the Department of Electronics & Information Technology (DEITY), this facility provides a storage of 1 GB to individuals who have linked their Aadhaar number. Moreover, you can also digitally sign e-documents with the e-sign facility provided. The file size should not be more than 1 MB and must be only in jpg, jpeg, BMP, gif, png file types.
What Are the Benefits of DigiLocker?
The benefits of DigiLocker is that the documents can be accessed easily anytime and anywhere. This will also simplify the verification process as it requires minimal human interaction. Moreover, you can issue any document directly to the issuing authority without any further verification. The other benefits of DigiLocker account are:
The launch of DigiLocker has empowered individuals digitally. Now, all the important documents can be kept digitally. In fact, you can keep the documents online if your Aadhaar card is linked.
Reduces the use of physical documents
Imagine you were applying for a job and the company needs to verify your documents. All they need to do is access the relevant documents on your DigiLocker account.
Access to information is secure
The system also provides secure access. A repository can be accessed by any institution by simply uploading the document in the standard format. Minimal human interaction reduces the possibility of corruption.
Minimise loss of document
Having your documents in the DigiLocker account is a way of keeping the physical documents safe. In case of loss, the digital documents can be accessed easily.
How to set up your DigiLocker account?
Here are the steps to create your DigiLocker account:
- Step-1: Sign in to your DigiLocker account.
- Step-2: You can log in through any of the following options:
- Aadhaar Name and OTP
- Username and Password
- Facebook ID validation
- Select the desired mode of login.
- Step-3: Once signed in, click on ‘Upload Documents’. Click on ‘Upload’ to upload your documents into your DigiLocker account. Please note you can upload multiple documents at a time.
- Step-4: Choose the location and select the file(s) and then click on Open button.
- Step-5: Once the documents are uploaded, you can see them in the ‘Uploaded Documents’ section.
- Step-6: Click on ‘Select Doc Type’ to match the document in the document types. If any of the documents do not match the document types, you can select ‘Others’.
- Step-7: After the above-mentioned steps, click on the ‘Save’ tab.
How to link car insurance in DigiLocker?
- Step 1: Log into your account on the DigiLocker website) using your mobile number/Aadhaar number/username
- Step 2: Select ‘Get the document’ or ‘Banking and Insurance’.
- Step 3: Choose the name of the insurance company and select the vehicle type (four wheeler).
- Step 4: Enter your car insurance policy number and mobile number registered with the insurer
- Step 5: DigiLocker will fetch your car insurance policy document in PDF and is saved automatically to your account.